Monday, June 23, 2008

Author Review: Jody Gehrman



Name: Jody Gehrman
Age: 36
Best-Known book: Confessions of a Triple Shot Betty

1. Why did you want to start writing?
I can't even recall, really; I've just always done it.

2. Fave Author
Really, it depends on my mood (classic or comedic, dark or fluffy). Some of my favorites are Vladimir Nabokov, Jane Austen, Helen Fielding, Nick Hornby. In YA: Maureen Johnson, Scott Westerfeld, Megan McCafferty, Louise Rennison.

3. Fave Place to Write

In my writing room. There's a hummingbird feeder in front of my window that keeps me entertained while I'm finding the next sentence.

4. Fave Food
Ice Cream.

5. Fave Book Blog
Hmm...that's a tough one. I bounce around a lot.

6. Fave Article of Clothing
Right now? This little black tank top that's comfy yet flattering.

7. Describe Your Room.
My boyfriend built our bed; the headboard and footboard (is that what you call it?) are both wave-shaped. It's got white walls and periwinkle trim (the only room in our house that's painted white!) It's sunny, small and sweet.

8. Did you imitate the characters in your book from people in your life?
Not really. They're composite characters; little pieces come from friends and acquaintances, but then each one takes on a life of her own.

9. What Book are you reading now?
I just stared My Most Excellent Year.

10. Do you like to write on the computer or in paper? Why?
I do outlines and notes by hand at first, but I compose the actual book on a computer. The computer is good for editing on the fly and really getting each sentence right, but writing by hand helps me think through the stickier issues.

11. Who are you most like: Hero, Amber, or Geena? Why?
Geena, probably, though there's a little of me in all the characters. Geena and I share a certain perspective on the world and we both love words. She's got a funny mixture of confidence and insecurity. I think we've got that in common, too.

12. Fave Coffee Drink:
I'm moody. Somedays I like mochas, other cappucinos, still others I'll go for a caramel macchiato. I crave variety.

13. Fave Part about being an author and Why?
Sometimes I just sit around and try to imagine my book in people's hands. I picture readers lying by the pool, sitting on airplanes, waiting in doctor's offices, all of them reading my words, and it gives me this indescribable thrill. After writing for so many years with an audience of mostly family and friends it's mysterious and wonderful to be reaching strangers, touching their imaginations in some way.

14. What would you say to a teen trying to get a novel finished and written? One who is trying to actually get it published?
Write what you love as often as you possibly can and don't let anyone who trivializes your work get too close to you. Take yourself seriously in terms of the amount of time and energy you give to it, but also let there be pleasure and a sense of whimsy in your writing life. External validation is always a blast, but it's the delight you take in the writing itself that will keep you coming back.

15. Anything that you'd have liked me to ask??
No, those were great questions!

CHOOSE ONE:
Coke or Pepsi
Coke
Snickers or Kit-Kat Snickers!
L.A. or N.Y.C. NYC, though I'm a native Californian...
Roses or Daisies Roses
Writing or Reading Writing
Dogs or Cats Cats
CoverGirl or Maybelline Maybelline I think
Texting or Calling Texting, usually
Butterflies or Fireflies Fireflies
Cooking or Take-out Take-out
Flip-flops or Tennies Flip-flops
Last One: What is the number 1 item to have with you at all times during the summer?

A fabulous hat.

4 Comments:

Liv said...

I loved this. Confessions is a great book and Jody is such a sweet author! Nice job!

Dominique said...

Cool interview! :) I'm currently reading her book!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

I have this book, and I can't wait to read it! good interview though. I LOVE nick hornby as well. he writes some great books. love her advice for aspiring authors. :)

-Lauren

P.S. I emailed you!! Please read asap! :) thanks.

Anonymous said...

She seems like an interesting character. I like Coke, Snickers, Roses,, Texting, Flip flops just like her. When I write and have to type it I do do outline in pencil. How cool we have that in common. Great review!