Thursday, September 4, 2008

Booking Through Thursday: Volume Two


Peer Pressure

I was looking through books yesterday at the shops and saw all the Twilight books, which I know basically nothing about. What I do know is that I’m beginning to feel like I’m the *only* person who knows nothing about them.

Despite being almost broke and trying to save money, I almost bought the expensive book (Australian book prices are often completely nutty) just because I felt the need to be ‘up’ on what everyone else was reading.

Have you ever felt pressured to read something because ‘everyone else’ was reading it? Have you ever given in and read the book(s) in question or do you resist? If you are a reviewer, etc, do you feel it’s your duty to keep up on current trends?

Giving that I am a reviewer, I often feel as though I am expected to be up on the trends. I read Twilight and New Moon in seventh grade and I just started my Freshman year on Tuesday. I want to re-read them to be ready to read Eclipse and Midnight Sun. My friends love the series. I have one friend who's read Twilight at least eight times. My other friend finished Midnight Sun in less than forty-eight hours. I am not pressured as much to read Eclipse as I am to read Midnight Sun, because it just came out. It's new. At school, nobody except me and my friends view reading as a fun, relaxing, voluntary experience. So nobody can really pressure me to read something. My friends wouldn't do that. They just want me to enjoy it. If they really liked it, they'll recommend it and leave it at that.

What I really don't like is offering to review a book for someone and I don't enjoy it. Then I feel as though I'm obligated to finish it. I do it anyway because my curiosity overcomes me, but sometimes I just think, 'There's so many way better books out there that I could be reading. Why do I have to read this?' Then I remember that I offered to read it and review it and that's like a client.... kind of.

Well, I hope that answers your question. Thanks for reading.

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your opinion, your articles written too good.Do you know what i like? you can find huge selection of cheap jewellery for sale
Wish you good luck.