Thursday, August 28, 2008

Booking Through Thursday: Volume One

This week's BOOKING THROUGH THURSDAY post goes like this:

If you’re anything like me, one of your favorite reasons to read is for the story. Not for the character development and interaction. Not because of the descriptive, emotive powers of the writer. Not because of deep, literary meaning hidden beneath layers of metaphor. (Even though those are all good things.) No … it’s because you want to know what happens next?

Or, um, is it just me?

I have to say that I am a mix of all of those. Definitely for the story. If the story isn't interesting, then why read it? I hate to keep reading a book, when I don't enjoy it. I also like to see the character development and interaction. I love people watching and reading is like doing it from your own home. (I'm a pretty nosy person.) I don't like metaphors much because if I don't understand them, then I feel stupid. I'd rather people just say what they mean.

Though when an author can make you laugh out loud or just start crying in the middle of a chapter, you know that person has unbelievable writing skills. You know that they really enjoy their profession. However, like Deb, I'd have to say that I'll keep reading for the story. I read because I want to know what's coming.

I enjoyed this post. Thanks Deb.

3 Comments:

SmilingSally said...

I appreciate a writer who can make me laugh out loud.

Anonymous said...

I need the literary devices like metaphor and character development. Do you really have a story if you don't have character develop or metaphor and the like? I personally won't read a book with stock characters; it doesn't matter how the plot goes. But that's just me.

Readingjunky said...

Hey, nice to meet you. Yes, a link exchange for sure. Anxious to read your review for LOCK AND KEY. It's on my TBR pile.